Looking for the new hit appetizer for your party? You may have just found it. This recipe from Holiday Kitchen is for Puff Pockets with smoked Gouda, apples and chives inside. It's easy to prepare, plus the combination of these unique flavors makes for a super special treat for all of your guests, paired perfectly with a glass of wine.
1 17.3 oz package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (2 sheets), thawed
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh chives, minced
2 tbsp sugar
3 oz smoked gouda, cut into 48 1/2 inch cubes
flour for rolling
Cheese substitute: Edam or plain gouda if preferred.
Thaw: 40 minutes
Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Cool: 10 minutes
Makes: 24 pieces
1. Take out a package of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and remove both sheets from the box. Let them thaw on the counter for 40 minutes - or overnight in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Add the apples and chives to a medium bowl. Stir with the sugar, coating the mixture evenly.
4. Lightly flour your surface and unfold one pastry sheet. Roll it into a 16x12-inch rectangle. Cut the pastry into 12 (4-inch) squares. Cut each pastry square in half diagonally to make 24 triangles. Repeat these steps with the remaining pastry sheet making a total of 48 triangles.
5. Place about a 1/2 teaspoon of the apple mixture on the bottom third of the longest side of each pastry triangle. Top each with a piece of cheese.
6. Brush the 2 bottom corners of the pastry triangle with water and fold them over the filling. Press to seal, leaving the top of the pastry open.
7. Place the pastries onto 2 baking sheets. Bake the pockets for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.
8. Remove the pastries from the baking sheets and let them cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a little more chopped chives just before serving.