If you're a fan of Sicilian foods, you might also like these chickpea fritters. They're crispy golden triangles of fried chickpea dough. Yum! These crispy chickpea fritters, known as panel, are crunchy and salty Sicilian street treats. And it only takes a few ingredients! This is great for a savory appetizer or a quick dazzle-your-friends snack.
* 3 cups water
* 1 cup chickpea flour, sifted
* a good pinch of kosher or sea salt
* pinch of black pepper
For Frying & Seasoning
* vegetable oil
* kosher or sea salt
* large pot for frying
* instant read thermometer
Make Fritter Dough
1. Pour water into a saucepan and stir in the chickpea flour
2. Season with salt and pepper to taste
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously making sure mixture does not stick and that lumps have been stirred or whisked out
4. When the mixture is thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan, it is ready. This may take about 5 minutes, but it thickens QUICKLY!
5. With a wooden spoon, spread a thin, but opaque layer of dough on a flat surface or a plate and let sit and cool for about 10 minutes
6. When the dough has cooled down and is in a peel-able state, loosen the edges with a knife and peel it off the dish (this may take 10-15 minutes - work slowly so as not to break the dough)
7. Cut each circle of dough into triangles or squares
Fry, Season & Serve
1. Heat 1" of vegetable oil in a large pot to 350º
2. Slide triangles carefully into oil in batches and fry until golden
3. Remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain, sprinkle with salt while still warm, and serve
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.