During the holidays, nothing beats the satisfying taste of Brie cheese encrusted in puff pastry. Holiday Kitchen shows you how it's done with this Brie en Croûte recipe that's a must-serve appetizing classic any time of year. To spice up the classic French treat, they've added cranberries, apricots and almonds, dressing it up especially for the holidays
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup apricot preserves or seedless raspberry jam
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 (13- to 16-oz) Brie cheese round
1 package (13 oz) Pepperidge Farm Entertaining Quartet Distinctive Crackers
flour for rolling
Thaw Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Stand Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
1. Take out a package of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and remove one from the box. Let it thaw on the counter for 40 minutes - or overnight in the fridge. Return the second to the freezer.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Make an egg wash for the pastry by beating an egg with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
4. Lightly flour your surface and unfold one pastry sheet. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14 inch square.
5. Spread the apricot preserves or seedless raspberry jam evenly over the pastry to within 2 inches of the edges. Sprinkle the dried cranberries and almonds over the jam.
6. Place the brie cheese in the center of the pastry. Fold the pastry over the cheese to cover. Trim the excess pastry from the ends and then press it to seal.
7. Brush the seam with the egg mixture, seal and place the cheese seam-side down onto a baking sheet.
8. Decorate the top with designs made from the pastry scraps, for example, leaves, ribbon and a bow. Brush with the egg mixture.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
10. Let it stand for 45 minutes and serve with crackers.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.